Thursday, February 26, 2009

Welcome to Fort Crackers

I mentioned in my last post that I had been feeling a tad lethargic as of late. I was not alone in my desire to stay home and hibernate. My two hooligans have had similar feelings. Really, all three of us have been perfectly happy hanging around the house engaging in really low levels of activity (seriously, we've just been slightly more energetic than your average coma patient.)

The hooligans have taken this hibernation thing to a whole new level. They've been constructing forts & dens all over the house.


K's room has your basic entry level fort:

No frills here, just a roof over your head & a couple of toys. The pink is pretty though, is it not?


C took the fort in his room to a slightly higher level:

You'll notice that he added a door to his model (or a bean bag chair to those of you who aren't fort savvy). He's got himself a really nice cocoon here that is jam packed with toys. You can't see 'em, but trust me they're there. When I moved the bean bag chair later in the day, I couldn't help but notice that most of the toys in his room were now in that tiny 2'X2' area.

But to see their true talent in den construction, you need to head downstairs to the playroom. For there you will witness a fort so large, C has actually created separate rooms. He gave me a tour of it yesterday and I thought I would share his handiwork with you.

The fort itself started out as a blanket (or I should say the blanket that was formerly known as the only thing keeping me warm at night while I watch TV ) fastened to the open doorway of what we have cleverly named "the tiny room under the stairs" with a C clamp borrowed from Mr. Crackers.

At some point, C decided that the fort was just too small, so he grabbed some chairs, their play hut tents & a sheet from the guest bedroom to add on a dance room (which is interestingly the smallest room in the fort), a play room and an exercise room.

Once he completed the tour, he told me his grand plans to expand the fort even further. But I have had to nix those ideas since they involved using all of our kitchen chairs and even more bedding. He was quite disappointed that I put an end to further expansion. He had visions of having the fort stretch across the entire length of the play room. When I asked him, "Buddy, if you used all the chairs for your fort, then where would we eat?" He looked at me like I had lost all my marbles and responded, "In the fort Mom, Duh!"

Hmmm... I think perhaps we are in desperate need of some outside time. A few more weeks of winter and I may never get them out of the house again!

1 comment:

momevers said...

Absolutely great fun! What, no fort in the family room or living room. Get those kids to work!