Saturday, November 22, 2008

What a nut

Saturday was the big annual show down between the 2 rival schools Ohio State & Michigan. I am very happy to report that the Buckeyes came out on top this year 42-7. Go Bucs!




I myself did not attend Ohio State, nor did Mr. Crackers. We both went to another state run school that at the time boasted the longest losing streak in the nation. In fact the football team at my Alma Mater (a school that had an enrollment of almost 16,000 students) did not even tie a game until my junior year. So, I don't think you can blame me or Mr. Crackers for backing a team that has a much better track record in athletics. It's more fun to root for a team that has an outside chance of winning a game at least once a season.



Thankfully, mascots have no bearing what-so-ever on the outcome of athletic events. I say this because the team I have chosen to root for every college football season for the past 4 years has chosen as it's mascot, a nut. I think it can be said without any fear of argument here that there is nothing intimidating at all about a buckeye nut. It is in no way malevolent or frightening. Really, it doesn't even smell bad.









While I am sure there was a good reason for this decision on the part of Ohio State, I really can't fathom what was going through the heads of whatever committee voted to approve this choice all those years ago.



I'm no expert, but I can't think of another school that has chosen a small inanimate object as the mascot for their athletic team. There are a few other schools that have made some interesting choices. Take the UC Santa-Cruz Banana Slugs for example. Theirs is not a mascot that really strikes any fear in the hearts of their opponents. And yet, I must point out that a Banana Slug (with the proper motivation) could probably do some real damage to an unsuspecting buckeye nut. If nothing else, the slug may be able to push it around a bit.






Then there are the Scottsdale Arizona Fighting Artichokes- again, a very unusual choice for team mascot. At least though they added the word fighting to the name. It makes it a vegetable to be reckoned with. I myself would think twice before messing around with a fighting artichoke. Seriously, I want my vegetables motionless and inanimate.






This brings us back to the venerable buckeye nut. A strange choice, but at least Ohio State hasn't let it get the better of them. And you know what - at least it's a mascot with a fashionable twist. String a bunch of buckeyes together and you've got a nice necklace (well maybe not a nice necklace, but a necklace nonetheless).



There are very few schools that could say the same. The thought of a banana slug necklace fills me with absolute horror (of course that may be my irrational fear of slugs talking here..shudder, shudder).

I take it back. I am frightened by the banana slug. Well done UC Santa Cruz!

2 comments:

travelchick515 said...

K- I love your blog! (is 1 exclamation allowed?) you have me about to pee my pants laughing.

KC and I thought about you this weekend as we decorated her house and sang christmas carols. I miss you, but reading your blog is almost like having you here.

KK

Anonymous said...

I am super impressed! (Even though I just can't understand why you have become an Ohio State Fan!!!)

I just read all of your posts, and you've done a great job-very funny! (And you know how I love my blogs, so I know what I'm talking about, right?)

The other KK