Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Conversation with my S-O-N

Communicating with my almost 6 year old son has become an increasingly difficult endeavour. Not only does he enjoy making me guess what he will say next, he often peppers his conversation with his new found (& not always correct) skill of spelling. Here is a snippet of our talk as he arrived home from kindergarten today:

Hey there Buddy!

Hi M-O-M

How was school today?

Well, I got to P-L-A outside, with you know who, & we got to play that game. You know, the one that you signed me up to play this winter. Oh and before that, we had M-I favorite special & we got to run, skip and then do the opposite. Here, smell my hand. When we got back to class I got to do my center activity with M & you know who. We did this many patterns (he holds up 5 fingers for me to see). But then it got boring, so we made up something else to do. Oh, and guess what? (I will eliminate for you here the 4 minutes of back & forth where I try to guess unsuccessfully what he wants to tell me. He finally gives up and blurts it out in a moment of pure frustration - which at this point is mutual!) You know who wants to come over & P-L-A with me & I said M-E T-O! So can you call his M-O-M now, huh can you?

Thankfully, since this pattern is not a new one, I was able to follow the conversation which really sounded like this:

Hello my beautiful Mom (I can dream can't I?). We had gym today & we got to have running, skipping & hopping relay races (I'm still not sure how hopping is the opposite of skipping, but that is an issue for another time). At the end, we got a blueberry scented hand stamp. After that, my best friend Ethan & I got to play basketball outside. Ethan, Matthew & I also got to build 5 patterns together as our center activity. It was great fun & quite a good learning experience for me. Can you call Ethan's Mom & ask if he can come over to play with me soon? I know you are busy cooking lunch, but maybe later while I am playing quietly by myself, you will have time to ask her. Ethan & I talked about it today & we both think it would be really fun! Thanks so much Mom, you're the best!

OK...admittedly I may be embellishing a bit here, but really, what else can I do? I rarely get to speak to other adults during the day, so it is my active imagination that keeps me from sliding closer to the brink (at least that is what I tell myself).

I have his parent teacher conference at school tonight. Hopefully it will go well.
Wish me L-U-C-K!

1 comment:

Svara said...

Oh noes... wait till he turns ten and wants to dye his hair dark blue. I didn't have issues with it but I knew his dad would so we settled for a can of blue powdered spray that wont stain.

May the force be with you!