Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?




Here she is....my sweet dog Sadie. She may not look it, but this old girl is now 10 years old. This summer we had to send her older "brother" Max up to that big dog park in the sky. He did not wear his old age as comfortably as his sister. He had been suffering for years with arthritis in his spine & hips, a deteriorating liver, a chronic thyroid condition as well as partial blindness & deafness. By the end of Max's life, we had to keep him away from the kids. He was a sweet dog, but he was in so much pain we didn't want the kids to accidentally hurt him.





Here he is as a young thing about 6 years ago (sigh!).



Anyway, we were very concerned about how Sadie would react once her brother, the dog she had lived with for more than 9 years, was gone. We were worried that she would stop eating & would be completely lost without Max at her side. The vet assured us, that she would be fine. She said that Sadie may have a slight period of adjustment, but that in the end she would adjust very quickly to her new life.


Truer words have never been spoken. After about 1 week, Sadie had come to view herself as "queen of the manor". There is not a soft surface in the house that she does not claim as her own. Every bed or couch is her throne. Every meal left unattended at the table or on the counter is her feast. This once somewhat shy dog has come into her own & there is no going back now!


I look at Sadie & I think that it perhaps I can learn new things again. Perhaps it is not too late to teach myself some new tricks. To that end I have begun the very slow & somewhat painful process of learning how to design websites. I have even started my own blog right here (and I will apologize right now for my poor grammar and very rusty writing skills). Hopefully this dog will be as successful at plotting a new life for herself as Sadie has. Look out, I'm learning something new today.

No comments: