Monday, November 10, 2008

I'm not really ready yet!

Does this picture look strange to you (I mean other than the fact the color balance isn't correct)? So what's the deal? I know I have fallen a little behind on things around the house, but it was only the 8th of November. Why was I wrapping Christmas presents at the dining room table when I clearly haven't even put away all of my Halloween decorations yet?

Well, I'll tell ya'. It's that time of year again. My in-laws are escaping the cold winter here in Ohio for 6 months of fun and sun in central Florida. In the past, they've flown back to see us during the holidays, but not this year. This year they've decided not to come back home until they have it on good authority that winter has officially ended. So, that means we had our traditional family Christmas dinner on November 8th this year. To tell you the truth, it was really weird watching my in-laws open Christmas presents before I had gotten to see Santa ride down Broadway at the conclusion of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (something I have watched since I was even shorter than I am now). This for me was the kick-off to the Christmas season & it was still almost 20 days away.

Thankfully, we didn't have to exchange gifts yet with my brother-in law's family. We decided to get together with them closer to Christmas and exchange gifts then. This is a good thing, since I just can't seem to get myself in the Christmas frame of mind quite yet.

There are some homes around my small town that had already turned on their Christmas lights this weekend. Now, I love Christmas & I've been known to listen to Christmas music long before December 1st came around, but this year (maybe because I am getting older) I just want everything to slow down a bit.

I was just finishing up getting my fall pictures of the kids playing in the leaves.....




So, I really don't want to rush things too much. I am having too much fun savoring things in this moment. Life moves quickly as it is, and my resolution is to try and live now, and suck every bit of life I can out of this bit of time before I blink & it's all gone. I want to enjoy what life is showing me today.

That's my goal anyway, we'll see what happens as the holidays come closer. Did I mention that my husband is outside right now hanging our Christmas wreath over the garage door? After that he will be testing the lights the 20 ft pine tree in the front of the house. Hmmm... I have no response to that.












No comments: