Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A change in personal style

I feel as though we've turned a corner sometime over the past couple weeks here at the House of Crackers. I've started noticing that the closer we get to K's 5th birthday, the more she seems to be moving away from her fascination with princesses and all things pink and sparkly.

My first clue that things were changing came a little more than a week and a half ago. After getting at least 2 years of wear, I decided it was finally time to suck it up and purchase a new winter coat for K this year ( 3/4 length sleeves just didn't seem like they'd work to well for playing in the snow). One of my favorite retailers was having a pre-season sale & I happened to have a gift certificate for this particular store burning a hole in my wallet, so we decided to go ahead and purchase her new coat now instead of waiting until the weather actually dropped below 70 degrees.

I gave her two of options to choose from but both of the coats I had picked were pink. As long as I can remember pink has been her favorite color. When given a choice between pink and any other color, K always picks pink. Imagine then my surprise when she asked to see one of the coats in blue. When I showed it to her I was sure she'd decide that pink was the way to go, but instead she said that she wanted the blue one. "Are you sure?" I asked. "Yep. I like the blue. It's pretty" she said.

Then she surprised me again by picking blue snow boots (I know it's early...but seriously once I started to pick out the winter gear I couldn't stop myself).

The coat came in the mail today, and I tell you she was just as excited about the blue today as she was when she picked it out last week. What is happening here?

My final hint that things are a changin' was this week when she finally selected her Halloween costume. Ever since the Halloween catalogs started arriving in our house back in early July she's picked a different costume for herself every day. And all of them have either been sparkly or fairy themed or included a skirt made from boatloads of of tulle (I should also add that most of her favorite costumes have also been priced well above $60.00, which is a lot more than her mother is willing to spend on any item of clothing for either of her children) .

But this week she made her final costume decision and she didn't change her mind no matter how many times I asked her what she wanted to be for Halloween. Instead of the princesses or the pink sparkly costumes she formerly dreamed of, she instead picked out this costume...





Holy black vinyl Batman! If that's not a dramatic shift in personal style than I don't know what is. Hmm. I have decided to focus on the fact that Batgirl is a strong and powerful female crime fighter rather than the fact she wears a relatively short skirt made of shiny black vinyl.

I am hoping that perhaps this change in preference may be somewhat influenced by my son C. A couple of weeks ago he had decided that he wanted to be a superhero for Halloween because he liked the fact that all of those costumes came with lots of padding to simulate muscles. He had been bouncing between Superman, The Flash and Spiderman for the past few days, but once K made her decision, he finally settled the matter...



So, fear not, the streets of Gotham will be safe this Halloween (until around 7:30). You can rest assured that both kids will be carrying flashlights and wearing glow necklaces this year while they make their rounds collecting candy. Nothing says responsible parenting quite like sending both of your young kids out trick-or-treating in black costumes.

1 comment:

momevers said...

All that black could lead to the goth look. Just sayin'....