Monday, February 8, 2010

Forty

It's official... we are now 1 week away from the date when I will be turning 40. Hmm... I don't really feel forty (it seems less scary if I spell it out) so I'm not really filled with a lot of anxiety about it. Although I should admit that I quite enjoyed my thirties & I'm not really looking forward to checking the box 40-45 years old on any future questionnaires that come my way.

A couple of weeks ago Jen, who writes the blog Absolutely Bananas, did a tribute to her husband Jay who was turning 40. She posted 40 things that were worse than turning 40. I liked the idea, so I've decided to use her list as a jumping off point, but change a few items to better suit me (I mean honestly, I fall down the stairs all the time).

Here for your enjoyment are 40 things worse than turning 40 forty by Jen (& Karen):

1. Being eaten by wolves
2. Getting a leg caught in a meat grinder
3. Poking your eye out Developing an allergy to chocolate
4. Running over a baby bunny or duckling Running a daycare in my home
5. Finding a finger in my soup
6. Irritable Bowel Syndrome A week long migraine
7. Losing the winning lottery ticket
8. Mullets
9. Being chewed up by hamsters, rats or cats Living with a long haired cat (oh, the allergies!)
10. Bed bugs
11. Falling down the stairs Walking around all day with my skirt tucked into my underwear
12. Stepping on a rusty nail
13. Kevin Costner with webbed feet Working at Toys R Us
14. Lice
15. Drinking lumpy milk
16. Taking the red pill. Having to get braces again
17. Getting eaten by a shark
18. Teenage girls and boys
19. Filet-of-Fish sandwiches Developing an allergy to baked goods
20. The stuff Mike Rowe does
21. Having gas on an airplane Riding home on an airplane after a week at Disney World with an exhausted, screaming 2 1/2 year old on my lap (again...)
22.The Real Housewives of Orange County Watching Ann Coulter on TV
23. Comb-overs
24. Trying to figure out how to sync your iPhone to a new computer without losing all your music Listening to New Age music everyday
25. Taking your baby to get his shots Having another baby
26. A root canal
27. Anything by Paris Hilton
28. A runny nose when you don’t have a kleenex Another allergic reaction to penicillin
29. Catching my hair on fire
30. Windows XP If the only station on TV was Fox News
31. Paying taxes
32. Accidentally brushing your teeth with hemorrhoid cream
33. The 80’s… back in style
34.Having the pilot of your airplane pass out from bad fish and all the other people pass out too and you have to fly the airplane but you don’t know how
35. Aliens that come to Earth to exterminate humans
36. Throwing up in your mouth
37. Dropping a baby
38. Stepping on dog poop. With bare feet.
39. Lower back pain
40. Falling down and you CAN’T GET UP! Turning fifty

Is it just me, or did about 5 of those items deal with allergies?

Honestly the list of things worse than turning 40 would take years to complete. I realize that it's just another number. And for the most part it's one I'm happy with (or at least not too scared of). I have been very blessed with a great family and a good life. Happy Birthday indeed!

No comments: