Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Weekend update with Mrs. Crackers

Before I get too far, I wanted to give you an update on the status of all the summertime household projects that I mentioned in a previous post. If I had the time on Saturday morning to do a little blogging, I would have told you that I finally finished painting all of the shutters and that I had high hopes that by the time Mr. Crackers returned to work Tuesday morning that I would have the back door completed too.

A few short hours later it became clear that my painting karma had gone terribly awry and I'd end the weekend without a single painting project crossed off my to-do list. The first bit of bad news came as Mr. Crackers was getting ready re-hanging the last two shutters on the house (#3 on his to do list for the weekend, right after re-shingling the playhouse...Mr. Crackers is no slouch when it comes to project completion unlike yours truly).


What I should probably mention here is that when Mr. Crackers was removing the shutters from the house so I could paint them, one broke (I would have probably broken all of them if I had been taking them down...I was very happy that we only lost one in the whole removal process which was very tricky and involved using sharp tools while on an extension ladder). So, I ordered a pair of replacement shutters online (apparently you can't buy just 1 shutter) and painted them just like I painted all of the other shutters.

They all looked really good with the new paint on them. That is, they all looked really good until Mr. Crackers uncovered a problem with the new shutters (thankfully) before he hung them on the house. He had stacked them on top of one another so that he could drill holes to mount them, and as he pulled them apart from one another lots of paint began peeling off the shutters. So much paint was peeling that in about a minute and a half we had peeled half of the paint on one of the shutters using only our hands. Clearly something had gone terribly wrong. As I looked more closely at the new shutters now back to their original unpainted status, I realized that I had forgotten to prime them ....duh!


So, if you happen to drive by the house today (and let's be honest it'll look the same if you drive by the house next week too.) this is what you'll see. A nice house with freshly painted shutters on most of the windows...








Oh well...




I also tried to finish painting the backdoor, with different yet similarly troubled results. I spent a lot of time sanding and priming the door before I began painting it. Between kids and dogs, the door had seen quite a bit of damage done to it over the past 6 years, so I knew it needed a bit of TLC before painting. After a few hours on Saturday afternoon, I got it nice and smooth & took Mr. Crackers up on his offer to take it off it's hinges for the first coat of paint.

What I didn't think about was that the strong sun and accompanying heat wave that had hit us in the Midwest made painting the door in direct sunlight where we placed it on the patio a really dumb idea...Really. Dumb. Of course, I began thinking about it in earnest as the paint began drying almost as quickly as I was applying it so that I managed to immediately botch the smoothing technique I had completed only hours before...

At that point I put the brush down and just walked away. It seemed the best course of action after such a dissapointing day. Once I could face it again, I came back and finished the first coat of paint on the door (in the shade). Even though it's not as smooth as it could have been if I had been paying a little more attention to my surroundings, I think I still like color. And hopefully no one else will notice that the paint is a bit lumpy in places...(or if they notice maybe they won't mention it to me).







Oh well...



The good news is that the rest of the weekend (the non-project portion) went really well.

We did all of those things that make a Fourth of July weekend typically American. We got to go swimming, attend a cook-out, watch an local Americana parade, and of course get to see some fireworks.


We even went to a local amusement park for an afternoon of fun




We rode our favorite rides





And visited our favorite characters


We even managed to meet up with some friends and cool off a bit on the log flume ride.

Despite all the painting setbacks, I still consider the weekend a success.





1 comment:

Lisa said...

I promise that I won't notice the lumpy paint job on the back door...we always hired this stuff out so you are very adventurous in my book!