Monday, May 11, 2009

Shopping, mud, Readi Whip and 5 seconds of fame: A Mother's Day recap


I have to say that I had an awesome Mother's Day weekend. On Saturday Mr. Crackers took care of the kids (and managed to clean the house & mow the grass - Mr. Crackers rocks my world!) while my Mom, my sister Linda & I met up with each other for a day of shopping at an outdoor mall. We had an great time being outside, trying on clothes and sharing the day with each other.


On Sunday morning, my little gang of four headed out to a local park to hang out as a family & hopefully get a few shots of me and the kids together. Since I am usually the picture taker in the family, I like to make it a point to get in front of the camera once a year. That way, the kids have photographic evidence that they did have a Mom while they were growing up. Right as we got there I was interviewed by a local TV station about our plans for Mother's Day (If you click on the link, don't blink for the first 5 seconds or you'll miss seeing us). After our brief time in the spotlight, Mr. Crackers & I both decided it was good that neither one of us had dreams of a life in front of the camera. I couldn't bring myself to even look at the thing when I spoke. It had the opposite on Mr. Crackers who couldn't look away and seemed to loose his entire train of thought once the camera focused his way. Clearly, we are more behind-the-scenes kind of people.






It was a beautiful day and we all had a great time running around looking at all of the beautiful plants and flowers. I was glad the TV guy caught us on our way into the park, because (as usual) my little calamity K had an accident while we were chasing each other in the children's maze. The good news is that the fall wasn't as bad as we originally thought. We watched her drop out sight behind a bush & let out a blood curdling scream - since she's already managed to have broken several bones in her short life, we expected the worst. I went running to her rescue and discovered she wasn't injured, she was just really, really muddy. Apparently, she managed to find the only patch of wet mud in the park and fell right into it - bottom first. Yep, there's no doubt about it, she's my daughter alright!







Once we assured her that the mud would wash off, she calmed down a bit & we started to make our way to the exit. We didn't want to get too far away from the car since neither Mr. Crackers or I wanted the honor of carrying her back to the car if she got too tired of walking.


Later that afternoon, my parents, my grandma and my in-laws came over for a cook-out completely planned and executed by Mr. Crackers (have I told you how much he rocks?!) . For dessert, my Dad brought all of the fixings for an ice cream sundae bar, including a can Readi Whip.

I'm not sure how much Readi Whip my parents go through on a monthly basis, but I can tell you they should start thinking about buying some stock in the company. Have I ever shared with you my Mom's obsession with this dessert topping? She loves the stuff. Not only does she love to eat it, she delights in spraying into the wide open mouths of her willing grandchildren. Almost all desserts now served in my parents home are accompanied by Readi Whip. It doesn't always stop with dessert either. I know for a fact that on a recent overnight stay at her Grandparent's house that K's breakfast of Honey Nut Cheerios was served with a mound of Readi Whip piled on top.






Who am I to argue? The stuff is delicious & after all it is a dairy product right? It's practically a health food. Besides, what's the point of being a Grandma if you can't spoil your grandchildren by spraying dessert toppings directly into their little mouths.

1 comment:

momevers said...

Wow, that was one fun filled weekend, wasn't it? Nothing spells celebration more than Readi Whip...and shopping...and mud, of course...and being together. Maybe we should take the week and recover. Can we do it all again real soon. Maybe this time without the mud!