Thursday, August 27, 2009

All buttoned up


Since today was picture day at school (they've only been in school 3 days -- does this seem a bit early to anyone else or I am the only one?), the kids were allowed to be out of uniform. I picked out a solid red polo for C to wear & figured when it came time for K's picture I'd dress her in a solid red shirt too so their outfits would kind of coordinate (at least that's my theory...chances are I will completely forget about this on K's picture day).

I went into C's room to check how he was progressing with the morning dressing ritual & to see if I needed to do any work on his hair - the poor kid has perpetual bed head. I'm not normally into styling my kids hair, which is why C usually heads to school looking like he got his fingers stuck in an electrical outlet. It just seemed like on picture day I should at least try to get most of his hair pointing in the same direction.

As I entered his room, I noticed that he had his polo shirt completely buttoned up all the way to the top. I've noticed he's been doing this all week with his uniform shirts, but I haven't said anything. I figured his fashion choices are pretty limited by the uniform, so if he wants to express himself by buttoning on up, that's OK by me.


Since it was picture day, I asked him to please unbutton the top button for me. It seemed like such a simple request. I had no idea that it would bring on the emotional breakdown that occured just as the question left my lips. The boy completely lost it & started sobbing "I don't like it that way! I want all the buttons closed! I don't like it when the buttons are all done!"


I have to tell you that the tears went on for at least 10 minutes. Finally, I gave up trying to reason with him & asked him to please remember to unbutton the top button right before he got his picture taken (now I don't really believe that he's going to do it, but at least I can say I tried...). He agreed he'd "try to remember" & I finally let the subject drop. I mean, if this is the look he wants, who am I to squelch his self expression? Oh yeah, now I remember...I'm the idiot who yesterday sent in a form where I agreed sight unseen to buy $39.00 worth of school pictures this year. Hmm...

Once the tears were over I took him into the bathroom to wet down his hair a bit to minimize the "alfalfa effect" & we headed downstairs to wait for Mrs. S to pick him up for school. Right as she was pulling in the driveway, C looked at me & said. "Geez I almost forgot to tuck in my shirt".

"That's OK honey, just leave it out - it looks good." I was thinking that maybe the untucked shirt kind of compensated for the uptight look he was sporting on top.

He just rolled his eyes at me in a pitying fashion, "No Mom - we're supposed to tuck in our shirts"


He then proceeded to tuck his shirt in so tightly that I'm not sure he'll be able to raise his hand in class today. When I tried to loosen it up a bit he jumped out of reach & said, "Mom! You're ruining it! Stop!" and then repaired all the perceived damage I had done.


He then gave me a wave good-bye & hopped into the van.


I can't wait to see the pictures in a couple weeks. I have a feeling he's going to resemble a younger, whiter version of this guy:

Thankfully, he doesn't own any suspenders.

1 comment:

Kelly K said...

Isn't that funny! We have the same battle at home, even on uniform days. We would have never been caught dead with a buttoned up shirt-except during that Molly Ringwald time when we wore dress shirts buttoned up with pearls, remember that? (I think you may even have a school pic like that-it was very cute as I remember!)