Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cupid's lisp

Every week, C's kindergarten teacher sends home a list of about 10 words that she'd like for us to review with our hooligans at home. Usually these words follow a theme that is sometimes tied to an event going on during that week. Case in point, the word Cupid appeared on the list of words that was sent home on February 9th.



Usually I'll take the list and we'll review it together over lunch, which is just what I did later that afternoon. I explained as best I could the idea of Cupid and how his arrows pierce the hearts of two people to help them fall in love. I told C that this was a myth, but that he'd hear people talk about Cupid especially as we got closer to Valentine's Day.



C looked at me and said, "You know Mom, Cupid has already shot 2 arrows into my heart."



" Really?" I said, " Who were they for?"



C (with a dreamy look in his eye) replied, "They were for both for Gracie. She's so pretty."



I should have guessed. Gracie is a very cute, rather quiet blond girl in C's class. He's had a thing for her ever since the first week of school when he declared, "Mom, I think I'm gonna marry Gracie some day. She's really pretty." I have been hearing about the wonder that is Gracie every week since. Oddly, C never plays with her at recess. But he must keep an eye out for her because he seems to always know what she's been doing on any given day. And he is sure that every white SUV we pass on the road is her car. "There she is Mom! There's Gracie's car!"



I can already tell, his teen years are going to be quite an adventure.


This past week, a note was sent home informing me that C was having difficulty pronouncing the S sound properly and that I would need to come for a meeting with the school's speech counselor. In short, my little C has a lisp. I got to the school Friday morning for the meeting only to discover that Gracie must be having the same problem. Her Mom and I attended the meeting together & learned that we would be spending the next 6 weeks teaching our children the proper techniques to correct this behavior from home. Yikes! You should have seen the packet she gave to us. No joke, it was about 90 pages long. Apparently we will need to get the behavior corrected before the first week of school in the fall or our children will have to go into speech therapy during first grade (no pressure!).



I would be lying if I said these exercises were fun. We've only done them a few times & C already rolls his eyes when I mention that we need to practice them again. "They are so BORING!" C insists. He's right, they are a little tedious. But, I am learning how to motivate my little Casanova. It just takes 8 little words. " I bet Gracie working on her S's too." Suddenly, C seems a little more willing to participate.



Hmm...I wonder what else Gracie can help me out with. The possibilities are intriguing.

No comments: