Thursday, March 5, 2009

Secret places

This may look like an ordinary step stool, but let me assure you it is not.

Both of my hooligans have a stool just like this in their rooms. They got the stools to assist them getting into bed once Mr. Crackers & I cruelly ejected them from their cribs and made them sleep in "big kid" beds (Neither of my two hooligans wanted to stop sleeping in the crib. I think if we would've let them, they'd still be sleeping in it.)

While K still uses her stool for the intended purpose, C has long been able to get into bed without needing a boost.

And yet, I don't think we'll ever be able to get the darn thing out of his room. You see, the top platform of the stool opens up to reveal a place that's just perfect for storing all those small yet important treasures of childhood. Both hooligans call it their special place, I call it a giant crap magnet good place to hide all of the small junk so I don't step on it and hurt myself.


All sorts of things end up in their "secret place". Here's just a sampling.

Here we've got a McDonald's toy, favors from past birthday parties, chap stick, Ponies...

... and more ponies! My sister has a fear of My Pretty Pony. I can understand that fear & I need to warn her now not to EVER look inside K's secret place. She'll have nightmares about technicolor ponies for weeks. By the way, what is that thing with the red face lurking in the corner? Perhaps he is the evil warlord who rules over the land of My Pretty Ponies. He's probably planning some kind of invasion using the pastel colors of the ponies to lull the people of Earth into complacency. Whomever he is, he scares me!


C's secret place is actually a little less crowded - mostly because we made him clean it out recently when the top of the stool would no longer close. Is the tiny oddly proportioned fireman surrendering? Perhaps he's anticipating the impending attack by the army of pastel ponies in K's room.


Honestly, there are just a few things I can identify here: a Santa toy, his new Ugly Doll, a cable car I got as a child... The rest is just more crap stuff.

What's weird is that though the content of both stools is so different, they both have a pirate eye patch inside. I don't know what to say about that.

What I do know is that I'm going to go back into K's room once she's awake & I'm gonna get that guy with the red face out of her secret place. Seriously, no matter how bad things look right now in this country, I'm sure that none of us want to live in a world run by an evil red faced warlord and his battalion of pastel ponies! Just doing my part to keep the world a safer place for democracy.

No comments: