Friday, March 27, 2009

A secret boyfriend for Mrs. G

Mrs. G over at The Women's Colony regularly hosts a section in her blog where she lists all of her secret boyfriends - men she admires for their good looks animal magnetism charm and strong acting ability. She asked her readers today to nominate their own "secret boyfriend" for consideration.


I can't disagree with standard beefcake trilogy: George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp. But I find that once I get beyond these three obvious choices, I seem to go my own way when asked by friends to pick the actors I most enjoy watching on screen.


For instance, I just don't get all the fuss being made over Robert Pattinson. He does absolutely nothing for me at all - Nada. Zip. Zilch. In fact, while I enjoyed reading the books of the Twilight series, I have put off seeing the movie because I am quite frankly put off by Robert in all of the promotional posters. I'm not saying that the millions of teenage girls and women who drool at the sight of him are wrong. I merely point this out to illustrate my point - I seem to gravitate toward what might be the less obvious choice.




If I were a teenage girl today forced to identify my favorite mancake (or I guess I should probably call them boycake) I'd choose either Daniel Radcliffe of Harry Potter fame or Michael Cera over Robert Pattison any day.

Yessiree, I sure am excited to see the next installment of the Harry Potter series. My, oh my! Here is one actor who is definitely more handsome than the character I had in my mind's eye as I read the book. (Of course the fact that the character in the book was like 15 years old may have been a factor in this as well.)




And I just can't resist me some Michael Cera. I think I've seen all his movies since he left Arrested Development (which still reigns as my all-time favorite TV show). I know I could be this kid's mother, but I just seem to get enough Michael. He's just too damn cute.



I think that the pick that seemed to scare my friends the most was when I told them that I thought Bill Murray was a hottie extremely attractive. Although I think I made this declaration about 10 years ago, I still recall the scene clearly. Four of my friends and I were driving back to work after a lunch break on a sunny Friday afternoon. We were having fun - all four of us were talking at once about our favorite actors. But, you could have heard a pin drop when I pledged my love for Bill. Everyone in the car looked at me with a combination of horror and (what I can only imagine was) pity. "Bill Murray!?" my friend KK practically bellowed " I don't understand, are you saying that you think he's attractive?" Yep, I do. I can't explain it, but there you go.



There's just something about Bill Murray that does something for me. It may be wrong - but as Mr. Crackers likes to say, there is a lot about me that's just not right.





So, without further ado, I guess it's time for me to reveal my pick for "secret boyfriend".

(Drum roll, please....)






The man I picked in answer to Mrs. G's inquiry was none other than Jason Bateman.



My, oh my indeed! Jason grabbed my attention when he starred in Arrested Development (yes I am noticing a pattern here. And yes, I will admit that I find Will Arnet, who also starred in the series, very attractive as well.) His sarcastic sense of humor and seeming inability to take himself too seriously sealed the deal for me. I was a goner. He's my pick. While I haven't seen all his movies, I really enjoyed watching him in Hancock, Juno and The Kingdom. There is a rumor going around that they are planning to make an Arrested Development movie. By God, I'm telling you this: If they make that movie, I'm going to be the first person in line to buy those tickets baby. Oh yeah!



But while Secret Boyfriends are fun to watch on screen, having someone around in real life who's attractive and can make you laugh is even better.





So here's to you Mr. Crackers. I'm happy that we managed to find each other despite the fact that neither one of is quite right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so clear that we spent our formative years together! My list would be just about the same as yours, and yes, no one understnds my Bill Murray love either.

I feel like a dirty old woman when I watch Harry Potter!

I do, however, like Robert Pattinson, and I even bought the deluxe 3 disk DVD of Twilight this week and have already watched the entire thing, bonus material and all! OK, he's not a great actor, but I am so sucked in!

Kelly

momevers said...

Has any one seen Jeffrey Dean Morgan? Very nice....