Monday, April 20, 2009

It's (almost) a clubhouse!

I thought I'd give you an update on our "Spring Project 2009". As most of you have already guessed, Mr. Crackers is using the wood from our former deck (see Spring Project 2008) to build our two hooligans a clubhouse in the back corner of our yard.


This weekend he built the walls (did I mention that our old deck was stained red? We opted to put the painted side on the exterior of the house because we feared that being in such a small space surrounded by bright red walls might have been psychologically damaging to our young children. Mr. Crackers was afraid the kids would start screaming REDRUM in their sleep .)


He worked all day Saturday putting it together. The kids and I helped out when we could, but as usual Mr. Crackers did the lion's share of the work.

What a beautiful railing. Isn't it amazing how level & evenly spaced those rails are ? (yes, that is what I spent my time doing while Mr. Crackers assembled the walls.)

The clubhouse now has a front porch & a window in each of its 4 walls. It's currently missing a roof - according to Mr. Crackers that is on the agenda for next weekend. It looks a little rough now, but after the roof goes on & we slap some paint on it, it should be a really fun place for the kiddos to play in all summer. Now we just have to pick a paint color. Hmm, any ideas?

The kids had a blast playing in the house once the walls started going up. They spent Saturday evening playing fast-food drive up window. C stood inside the house & K would walk up & give him her food order. This went on for at least 30 minutes. I can't wait to see all of the other ways they use the clubhouse this summer.

Did I mention that the front of the house faces to the west? I only tell you this to explain the pained look on the faces of my hooligans. They loved the clubhouse, they didn't however love staring into the sun while their kooky Mom tried to snap a few pictures. "Seriously Mom, can we stop with the photography so we can get back to playing? Geez!"



A well deserved break at the end of the day. Thanks Mr. Crackers, it's looking good.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

looks awesome!!! My kids will be jealous or asking to go over to your house everyday this summer!

Oh, and I would say paint it dark green to blend in with the landscape.