Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Nine Jedi + Princess Leia = Lots of Shenanigans

I know I am a bit overdue with my recap of the big Star Wars party, but I needed a day to recover. So without further ado, here is "Star Wars 2009 - The Birthday" done House of Crackers style.

As Sunday drew closer, I had really come to regret that I agreed to host 8 other 6 year old boys in my home for C's birthday party. I had what you might call an overwhelming sense of dread & impending doom. Not only were all of these boys coming to my home, but they would be staying for THREE HOURS! Seriously, what was I thinking?

Once the boys arrived, they were suited up in their Jedi ponchos robes (or in other words, we threw a piece of brown felt over their heads & tied a rope around their waists). They were then directed to the table to make a picture about outer space. I figured I needed to fill some time, so this seemed like a good thing to do before they got all hopped up on cheese balls & sugar.



I am amazed they all stuck with it. I thought for sure there would be some protests. It must be the fact that they all go to school together that worked to my advantage. Doing an art project side by side must have seemed familiar.


After art & a few rounds of Star Wars bingo, it was time to head down to the playroom for what turned out to be the calmest scavenger hunt I have ever witnessed.

I was starting to think all of my fears about the wildness of 6 year old boys had been blown grossly out of proportion.


It is amazing how excited kids can get about jolly ranchers & starburst wrapped up in foil. You've got to love the enthusiasm of youth. Where does that go?


Upstairs for more cheese balls! I think those things must be addictive. I don't like them, but they are like catnip for kids. I've never seen them consumed so quickly.


Then back downstairs for a relay race & some fun with the parachute. Kids love parachutes! We break this out for every party & it's always a hit. It's also a sure way to get kids who had been relatively calm all juiced up & wild. That's just what happened too. Thankfully we still had one more thing to do. It was time for ice cream (I know C is my child because I gave birth to him but I still don't understand his dislike for cake....seriously?! How can you not like cake?)


That smile made it all worth it!

After ice cream & presents we let the boys (now armed with inflatable light sabers) back down to the playroom. We still had an hour left until parents got there, so I figured we'd let them have some fun without anything planned in the playroom. Had I learned nothing from reading Lord of the Flies? Now I got to see the shenanigans I was expecting earlier in the party. I know, I should've seen this coming - arming 6 year olds after filling them with ice cream & cheese balls was probably not my best idea. But, it was fun - for them. Mr. Crackers & I were getting increasingly nervous about the feral children attacking each other in the playroom, so we decided to break for an episode of Star Wars The Clone Wars.

They were still armed, but now I no longer felt like tears or a fight were imminent. After the episode was over, we disarmed our guests & allowed them to have the run of the place until their parents came to pick them up. Playtime always goes smoother when the children aren't armed. Isn't life funny that way?


All in all I think Mr. Crackers & I had as much fun as the kids (I think once it was over we were as tired as they were too). That being said, next year's party will not be at home. Thankfully I have a year to convince C how much fun parties outside the house can be!

3 comments:

momevers said...

Much, much braver than your own parents, I believe. Looks like a great time. Am enjoying viewing it all from the safety of my own home :-)

Mrs. G. said...

My son is fourteen and he would have totally loved this party. The Star Wars love continues to pulse through his veins. He listens to the soundtracks on his iPod.

Mariel said...

Sorry, blog stalking! I love your Star Wars party idea, my boys would love that!