Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A few blasts from my (sister's) past

This afternoon I was cleaning up our guest room in anticipation of some friends who will be coming to stay with us for a few days right after Christmas. I was sorting through the myriad of crap stuff we've crammed placed in the room over the past year in order to clear some drawer space for our guests. I was desperately searching for a place to stash a couple of afghans when I remembered that the trunk currently serving as a TV stand in the room was empty.


Or so I thought... I opened the trunk & came upon a bunch of photos. Some were of a vacation that Mr. Crackers & I took before C was born, and some of them were of my sister Linda & I. In today's blog, I have chosen to humiliate my sister! Just kidding, Linda the pictures are very flattering. Seriously! (As you will see we look nothing alike, but trust me, we're sisters. We both have the same painful scars happy memories to prove it!) I told Linda I had come across some pictures of her that I was going to post & she seemed to get a little worried. Puh-lease! I don't think she's ever taken a bad picture in her life. See for yourself...



Egads! My best guess on this picture is somewhere circa 1989 or 1990. I am basing this on hair style, the color of my parent's carpeting (did we really have rust colored carpeting in the living room Mom? Somehow I must've have blocked that out) and the pets we are holding - that's Bandit the cat & Tibbs our beloved basset/beagle mix. Is it me or do those pointsettias need some water? And Linda, there are those pegged pants I was talking about! Nice!


I think this is a picture of her when she joined her sorority - so I am thinking maybe this was around 1990 or 1991? Am I right Linda? Anyway, she was worried I'd be mocking her big hair, but I gotta say it, I've always loved this picture of her. Isn't she beautiful? Seriously, I've always been jealous of her photogenicness (leave me alone, I know that is probably not a word, but you know what I mean). And look at that hair! Sure there's a lot of it, but it just works on her, darn it!



OK, I definitely know the year here....this is at my college graduation back in 1992. God, could I be any shorter? I promise you we share the same parents, but you just wouldn't guess it by looking at us would you? Don't even get me started about chest size -talk about differences! I think I was absent the day cleavage was being passed out...but that may be a blog for a different day (or then again maybe not!)



I'm going back to the guessing game here on the year. A little help here please? This was taken at my friend Kelly's wedding sometime in the early-mid nineties (Geez, my memory is getting really bad. Pretty soon I'll be forgetting my children's names!) That's Linda laughing & generally having a great time. I'm the one catching flies, or singing, or asking Linda to check my tonsils? Well, I really have no idea what I could be doing there.

I am one of those people who take horrid candid shots. Seriously, warn me before you take a picture. Give me a chance to compose myself for heaven's sakes. Most of the time I have some totally whacked expression on my face that just does not translate well on film. It's a good thing I have no acting talent, because I'd be all over the tabloids with the most unflattering pictures imaginable if I were famous (or talented).






I'm not trying to trick you, this is not my sister Linda, but I had to include this picture. That is my friend Kelly of the aforementioned wedding. A seriously beautiful bride, is she not?! The only thing that concerns me with this photo are the shoulder pads. Wowee! Those things are huge! The poor photographer could barely fit us & our shoulders in the picture together. But again, a lovely picture of my friend Kelly. What year was this anyway? A little help please!

And now I am off to finish off my cleaning project. Who knows what I will find next?
Be afraid, be very afraid..

6 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

Judging from the hair and fashion we must be the same age. I'm 41.

Karen said...

You are correct Mrs. G! I am (soon to be 39). Yikes, how did that happen? Glad to hear your husband is recovering well from his surgery. I missed you while you were gone!

momevers said...

Okay, no one asked me, but I have to say both my girls are beautiful! I know for a fact they are sisters through and through. Definitely same parents.....

Anonymous said...

I'm famous! I feel like Navin Johnson and I want to shout "The new phone books are here. The new phone books are here!" That might be followed by "It's the shoulder pads. He hates shoulder pads. He's shooting at the shoulder pads!"

It was 1994. The shoulder pads are the only sad part of my wedding day. Even at the time, I knew they weren't right and wanted them smaller, but my mom and the bridal shop ladies cruely convinced me that they were OK. (And actually, I think it's just pouf, there's not actually a shoulder pad in there.) I love that picture of you and Linda at my wedding! For me, it conveys how fun the evening was.

I agree that Linda takes great pictures and has always had GREAT hair!

Linda said...

ok - ok - the humiliated party checking in here....I think that sorority picture is actually from my senior year - so around 93 or so... My goodness - I seem to have had a ball at Kelly's wedding (Hi Kelly!). Looks like I have lost control of myself for a minute there...are we doing the tango Karen? Nice lead :-)

Karen said...

Don't be humiliated - everyone agrees you look great on film. If it's humiliation you want, I can go digging for some more pictures. I'm sure I can find some real doozies. Kidding!