Monday, December 1, 2008

An assortment of crackers


Just a few updates today from the house of Crackers:

1. My addiction to Craig's List has paid off! Someone just left the house with our very large train table. Whoo, woo! To date, we ended up making over $200.00 selling off the kid's old and unused toys. I think my excitement over these sales has the Cracker children nervous. They have started screaming, "please don't sell that!" whenever I take a close look at one of their toys or scoop a stray doll or car off the floor to put it away. I have assured them that I have no plans to wipe out their toy stash, but they just don't seem to believe me.

I understand their concern. About a year and a half ago Mr. Crackers & I were hit with Garage Sale fever after a particularly successful day at our neighborhood sale.



We started hauling out tables, area rugs, and really anything else that wasn't nailed down and we thought we could "move" (& by move I mean sell quickly probably for a price well below what it was worth). Thankfully by the time the fever really hit us, the sale was winding down, and we ended up hauling much of our furniture and small appliances back into the house again.
Looking back I am glad our fever peaked so late since we were thinking seriously about selling our kitchen table. Never mind that we eat all our meals there, we thought it was perfect to sell for about $150.00. We wanted a bigger one someday anyway (we lacked the presence of mind at the time to realize that purchasing a new table to replace the one we sold for $150.00 would probably cost us at least $1500.00).

In light of our past behavior, I do understand their distress. But really, my main goal was to clear out some space for new stuff while at the same time helping out with the cost of Christmas toys.

Come to Momma!

On second thought, maybe I'll make one more pass through the playroom, just to make sure I haven't missed anything.....



2. Remember when I was talking about how much I loved our Fisher-Price nativity scene and how much fun I had watching the kids play with it? It seems like just yesterday. . . In fact it was just yesterday. Well, I take it back. I know winter is just starting, but I forgot how hard it is to adjust those first weeks when we realize most of our playtime will now occur indoors. I have to say, today proved to be a painful adjustment.

Both of the Cracker children decided to play with the aforementioned nativity scene this afternoon. I wish I could paint an idyllic scene of 2 children playing happily and quietly with the holy family near the Christmas tree (would it be even cuter if they were both wearing coordinating Christmas sweaters - or is that too much?). However, what I got instead was a 3 year old screaming and sobbing, "I want the Baby Jesus, I WANT THE BABY JESUS. GIVE HIM TO ME NOW!!!!!". All while my 6 year old screamed back "Then give me the Fairy (a.k.a. the Angel Gabriel). You've had her the whole time! IT'S MY TURN TO HAVE HER. I WANT THE FAIRY!!!!"

For some reason, instead of leaving the room & hiding somewhere letting them work it out, I launched myself into the fray trying to dodge flying wise men while screaming at the two of them " JUST GET ALONG AND PLAY NICELY!". Needless to say, I was unsuccessful at forcing, threatening, coercing them to get along.

Finally I gave up & spent a little time with Mrs. G at Derfwad Manor . She always makes me laugh & by the time I was done the children had worked out their own problems and had moved on to other toys.....

3. A little update on Mr. Crackers who is looking mighty fine these days... Mr. Crackers ran a 10K race on Thanksgiving day & did a great job! He's been training since the spring and although he says he wanted to lose more weight, I think he looks great.

Did I fail to mention that Mr. Crackers is growing out his hair a bit? I have to say I do love that salt and pepper coming in around the temples. Why is it that he looks so good with some gray in his hair while my grays just make my hair look a little more dull and dried out? It hardly seems fair. I think I will lodge a complaint with our hairdresser when I see her in a couple of weeks.

Did I also fail to tell you that Mr. Crackers not only got himself new glasses (that I love, love, love) but that he also got his first pair of contacts? Hmmm..... should I be worried?!

Perhaps it is time Mrs. Crackers updated her look a bit as well.



That's all that's fit to print from the House of Crackers!

1 comment:

Tootsie Farklepants said...

We held a yard sale once. Aaaannnd that was enough. I just don't have the patience to haggle over reducing the $1 item to .75 cents. And the people who are all bent out of shape about it.